LAURA H. CABANILLA
Laura Cabanilla attended college at Brigham Young University in 1980, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in English in 1986. During college she joined the U.S. Army Reserve in order to fund her schooling and because of her desire to serve her country. She was the only female cadet enrolled in BYU’s ROTC program at that time, and the second woman commissioned through the program. In 2010 she was deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Enduring Freedom..
Laura H. Cabanilla
Laura Cabanilla attended college at Brigham Young University in 1980, graduating with a Bachelor’s degree in English in 1986. During college she joined the U.S. Army Reserve in order to fund her schooling and because of her desire to serve her country. She was the only female cadet enrolled in BYU’s ROTC program at that time, and the second woman commissioned through the program. In 2010 she was deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
She was based in Kuwait but travelled frequently to Iraq and Bahrain. She is a 1994 graduate of Brigham Young University’s J. Reuben Clark Law School. She previously worked as a prosecutor with the Utah County Attorney’s Office where she prosecuted many high profile criminal cases. In 2000, Laura Cabanilla joined the law firm which is now Esplin?Weight.
Laura Cabanilla is a partner with the firm and shares in the ownership of the historic building where the firm is located. Her practice consists primarily of family law cases (including appointment on children’s advocacy cases) and criminal defense. She is currently serving on the Provo City Council which is a four year term. She has previously served as the council chair, and is currently the only woman on the council.
She is married to Dave Cabanilla, an airline pilot with Federal Express and local land developer. They have four children: 25 year old triplets: Paige, Cliff and Sierra and 22 year old Marc.
Alimony & Spousal Support
Custody & Visitation
Domestic Violence & Neglect
Guardianships & Conservatorships
MisdemeanorParole & Probation
Powers of Attorney and Appointment
Search & Seizure Protections
- Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, Provo, Utah, 1994
Law Journal: Family Law Journal, Editor, 1993 – 1994
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Representative Cases:
- State v. Real Property, 994 P2d 1254 (Supreme Court Utah 2000)
- State v. Womack, 967 P2d 536 (Court of Appeals 1998)
- State v. Clements, 967P2d 957 (Courts of Appeals 1998)
- Honors and Awards:Christine M. Durham Public Service Award – finalist
- Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge Award
Meritorious Service Medal
Army Commendation Medal (6 Awards)
Army Achievement Medal (2 Awards)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal (2 awards)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal M Device
National Defense Service Medal
Army Service Ribbon
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- U.S. Army Reserve 1981 – 2012
Lieutenant Colonel, USAR Retired
- Past Employment Positions:
- Utah County Attorney, Prosecutor, 1996 – 2000
- Orem City Attorney’s Office, Prosecutor, 1995 – 1996
- Birth Information:
- 1962, Starke, Florida, United States of America